Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Can you be too clean?


Is it possible to be too clean? Yesterday, one of my dad friends tell us a funny story about her ex-roomate who is too obsess with cleanliness. She told us that her roommate is so clean obsess that she would even go all the way to the bank just to exchange any dirty ringgit notes that she have just received. I wonder where she find the enegy to do that? Furthermore, she would also wash her keys and hands with dettol or alcohol each times she used it. My mum add on that she also have a relative who have similar obsession with cleanliness also. My mum told us that that she would throw away any socks even though she have used it once only. Also, my mum say that generally, relatives will tend to avoid visiting her because she is so clean conscious until the extend she only allowed those who had just taken their bath to sit on her sofas.

The result? From what I heard, this people does not have many friends and generally people will feel uneasy being around with them. From what I heard they live quite a depressing live being in bondage to their cleanliness tendency till they can't enjoy their lives. So my next question is 'Is it a mental disease?'. So I search wikipedia and it is term as obsessive compulsive disorder (COD) and it says that the main symptoms for the disease is that OCD sufferers need to performs tasks or compulsions to seek relief from obsession-related anxiety. For example like the need to wash hands at short intervals or the need to check if the door is lock many times before going to sleep. For the two case studies as discussed (sorry if I being too formal haha)..., they suffer from fear of contamination. Because of this fear, they fear to venture to public places and they can't conduct normal social relationship. Also, studies find out that those who are too clean consious will easily fall sick because or their weak immune system. This is because, their bodies are not accumsted to fight against microbes and bacteria. Look like we still need a little bit of durt in our lives. Haha....

My opinion? I think that cleanliness is a good thing because being dirty will generally give you a bad image and people will want to avoid you too. Just like eating too much honey will give you stomachache, too much cleanliness wil also cause you to have headache. So in my opinion, just with any good thing, I think there should balance and moderation in cleanliness so that it will not lead to obsession and messed our lifesytle.

Feel free to give comment ^_^

2 comments:

  1. This might be a shock, but my mum's an OCD. She is just too clean and wants things to be clean and neat and tidy. So I'm praying that Jesus will save her because then, her obsession will turn to God than cleanliness. It's better to be obsessed with God than with cleanliness right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not necessarily good. obsession with God belongs to another psychiatric diagnosis altogether...

    ReplyDelete